For 13 years we have been doing ‘Youth Mission week’. A week during summer where our young people and leaders go into the local community and serve others.
There are lots of different activities to get stuck into;
• Gardening for the elderly or people with disabilities
•Putting on activities for children and families
• Running Holiday Clubs / Community Fun Days / lunch clubs.
• Visiting people who may be lonely and lack support networks
• Spending time in old people’s homes
• House makeovers
•Partnering with homeless organisations – helping them run their soup kitchens, going into the city and giving out care packages, painting at drop-in-centres.
The week is predominantly about serving the community and encouraging our young people to to share the gospel. We believe it is important to teach these things from a young age.
1) PRAY: a) For me and the team as we organise the week (as you can imagine it involves a massive amount of planning and organisation) b)For the young people that God will prepare their hearts and minds to not only give out as much as they can but also that they will be open to receive what God has for them (both those already believers and those that are joining us for the week that aren’t yet believers).
2) COOK: On the actual week we need people to cook meals for the team, so if you would be interested in helping in this way or being part of a team who helps with set up and clear up then please speak to me or Sally Whittall who is heading that up.
3) DRIVE: On the week we also need help transporting the young people to the different projects and activities. so if you are able to help with this then please let us know- it would be a massive help!!
The young people usually sleep over at the church for the whole week and have their meals together and shower at a local school or leisure centre. We do this to encourage community amongst the young people. We aim to help them to develop and build lasting & supportive friendships with each other.
This year we will be doing things slightly differently, we will be spend part of the week staying over at ACC and part of the week staying in people’s houses. We do this to explore more deeply what real community looks like.
The evenings are spent as a team doing team building activities and also engaging in times of teaching, worship and prayer so as to encourage spiritual growth.
Last year we managed to secure some funding for mission week as well as other summer activities. This was a massive blessing as it meant we were able to do many different things and bless many people without the restriction of finances. We are pleased to say that we have been able to secure some funding again this year!!! Praise God!!! We know again that this will be a huge help!
If you have any questions then please speak to me Roxy, Dave or Ben the other members of the mission team who will be more than happy to answer them if we can!!
Momentum is building and we are all excited for what God is going to do in and through this week!!